Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Can we access my wife's super if she doesn't work.

I'm new

Views 251

Replies 1

I'm a sole trader, no employees. Income is down 30%+. My wife hasn't worked for a year. Can we access her super as she has more than me, rather than accessing mine? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HelenK1,

You can't access your super early for a dependant or anyone else. If your wife is financially affected by COVD-19, they must apply themselves. You can find the eligibility information for COVID-19 early release of super on our website.

If your wife has been adversely financially affected by COVID-19, and is unemployed (not on unpaid leave from their employer), they may be eligible for the COVID-19 early release of super. We consider an unemployed person, in broad terms, someone who does not have paid work but wants to have paid work. An essential requirement is that the person has a present intention and some capacity to be part of the labour market.

All the best.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HelenK1,

You can't access your super early for a dependant or anyone else. If your wife is financially affected by COVD-19, they must apply themselves. You can find the eligibility information for COVID-19 early release of super on our website.

If your wife has been adversely financially affected by COVID-19, and is unemployed (not on unpaid leave from their employer), they may be eligible for the COVID-19 early release of super. We consider an unemployed person, in broad terms, someone who does not have paid work but wants to have paid work. An essential requirement is that the person has a present intention and some capacity to be part of the labour market.

All the best.