ATO Community

Re: Customer paid GST even though I'm not registered

Views 448

Replies 1

So I'm a primary producer and looking through my records as tax time approaches and I noticed that a "payment advice" form from a company I sell grain to has included a GST component on a payment even though they have been notified that I'm not registered for GST.

I'm not even sure where to start, who do I contact to sort it out?

Any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jkelsh 

If a GST amount was added and it is an overpayment to you, above the amount you should have received, you can refund the GST component to the company reminding them that you are not registered for GST. You will have to adjust your records to reflect the lower income amount.

If the amount is correct and it was just the company’s accounting software that automatically prints GST onto their payment advice forms, you don’t need to take any action. However, may want to remind the company you are not registered for GST and you found an error on their payment advice, in case they need to make GST adjustments.

If you are not able to check if the payment total was the correct amount, you should contact the company and discuss it with them.

I hope this helps you.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jkelsh 

If a GST amount was added and it is an overpayment to you, above the amount you should have received, you can refund the GST component to the company reminding them that you are not registered for GST. You will have to adjust your records to reflect the lower income amount.

If the amount is correct and it was just the company’s accounting software that automatically prints GST onto their payment advice forms, you don’t need to take any action. However, may want to remind the company you are not registered for GST and you found an error on their payment advice, in case they need to make GST adjustments.

If you are not able to check if the payment total was the correct amount, you should contact the company and discuss it with them.

I hope this helps you.