Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: GST

Highlighted

Views 107

Replies 1

I am going to do food delivery service. Do I have to register for GST?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PAULUS 

I suggest you have a read through of this page.

Delivering food or goods using a digital platform or app?

To answer your question though:

• If you deliver food or goods for someone else as an employee, you will not have any goods and services (GST) obligations as part of your employment
  • If you’re a contractor (i.e. you run your own business as a service provider for a larger company) and your turnover is under $75,000 (and you expect to earn less than this) in a financial year, then you are not required to register for GST. You are, however, required to apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN). You can register for an ABN (for free) at this website. You may need to contact the digital platform directly about linking your ABN to your account.
  • If your turnover is $75,000 or more (or you think you’ll earn above this amount) then you’ll need to get an ABN and register to collect GST. Once you’ve registered, you must charge, collect and then report the GST you’ve collected to us via a business activity statement (BAS) – you’ll also be able to claim GST credits for business expenses.
  •  

Hope that helps,

HaydB

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PAULUS 

I suggest you have a read through of this page.

Delivering food or goods using a digital platform or app?

To answer your question though:

• If you deliver food or goods for someone else as an employee, you will not have any goods and services (GST) obligations as part of your employment
  • If you’re a contractor (i.e. you run your own business as a service provider for a larger company) and your turnover is under $75,000 (and you expect to earn less than this) in a financial year, then you are not required to register for GST. You are, however, required to apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN). You can register for an ABN (for free) at this website. You may need to contact the digital platform directly about linking your ABN to your account.
  • If your turnover is $75,000 or more (or you think you’ll earn above this amount) then you’ll need to get an ABN and register to collect GST. Once you’ve registered, you must charge, collect and then report the GST you’ve collected to us via a business activity statement (BAS) – you’ll also be able to claim GST credits for business expenses.
  •  

Hope that helps,

HaydB