Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Hearing Aid

Views 2618

Replies 3

As a sole trader with an ABN. I’ve found myself needing hearing aids..

I require these hearing Aids for taking calls, talking with vendors clients .etc.

(The are so expensive..)

yes I could live my personal life without them, but they are much needed in my business/working life..

can I claim them as a tax deduction? If I can, would I claim under tools or office expenses or is there another category?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @Brian147 

Hearing aids can not be claimed as a direct deduction against income earnt as it is considered that the cost of the aid is not incurred in earning or producing assessable income and or private in nature.   Have a read of this ATO ruling, IT2217  paragraphs 5,6 & 7

However, you can claim a tax offset for the cost of hearing aids under Medical Expenses .  To make a claim simply complete Label T5 of the Supplementary Section of the income tax return by following these Instructions 

If you would like to discuss this further with the ATO you can contact their  Early engagement team by submitting a request for or requesting a call back and an ATO officer will contact you to discuss your situation further, or if you want something in writing from the ATO, that will be binding on the ATO and give you peace of mind then I suggest you request a ATO private ruling.

If you have general queries or need assitance in completing any of the above request procedures, you can phone the ATO on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an ATO officer.

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 0

No sorry that is seen as a personal expenses.

Like prescription glasses can not be claimed and most people couldn't work without them...

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @Brian147 

Hearing aids can not be claimed as a direct deduction against income earnt as it is considered that the cost of the aid is not incurred in earning or producing assessable income and or private in nature.   Have a read of this ATO ruling, IT2217  paragraphs 5,6 & 7

However, you can claim a tax offset for the cost of hearing aids under Medical Expenses .  To make a claim simply complete Label T5 of the Supplementary Section of the income tax return by following these Instructions 

If you would like to discuss this further with the ATO you can contact their  Early engagement team by submitting a request for or requesting a call back and an ATO officer will contact you to discuss your situation further, or if you want something in writing from the ATO, that will be binding on the ATO and give you peace of mind then I suggest you request a ATO private ruling.

If you have general queries or need assitance in completing any of the above request procedures, you can phone the ATO on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an ATO officer.

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Thanks @.

MVF 

Forgot about the T5 claim as it really, rarely, gives you any real benefit without spending a lot of money.

For eample if Hearing aid was $2,300, then if single earning under $90,000 then a maximum of $16.40 can be claimed being 20% of the excess over $2,218.

I remember when it used to be general for everybody I used to total up every single thing that was spent for the family just so I could claim something, mostly $20 - $50. The fear was if I didn't claim it, I would lose the right to claim it and the next year would be very expensive for the family......Smiley Happy