Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Re: How to prove that you already paided tax as an individual in a partnership?

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

@Biggiesmalls   

There is a marked difference between the orginal owner accepting a response and the ATO accepting because the original owner does not pass off someone else's response as their own! ... which gets back to a point of principle         

Maybe I should just accept it all as flattery because as you know Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That is also an interesting point you raise, It could be as simple as maybe have a different accepted by poster or accepted by ATO just so you know what's going on.

I will just wait and see what the ATO have to say about all this, its going to be an interesting discussion if we have one.

Also, if you want I can walk you through how this post should have approached and what the real issues are that everyone including the ATO has missed, but its going to have to wait until this other matter is all sorted.

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

@Biggiesmalls 

Its time to put an end to my stay on this forum, so thanks for time and all the very best.

Maybe one day I will drop in just to say hi, in the meantime take care and all the best in your new career.

Highlighted

Replies 6

Hi JodieM, anonymous, Biggiesmalls thanks for the support.

As my user name suggests I’m a farmer who has been audited. at this stage it’s at the AAT but this should not have happen, I’ve submitted all the evidence already but still got a frosty response.

I’ll try to paint a bigger picture so you can understand, I’ll try to make more detailed. When you run a business you have good and bad years, for a farmer the weather conditions determine this, as you are aware in 2011 Brisbane was flooded, and in 2014 Logan city was also flooded, records were lost.

My accountant has been doing my business tax return and both individual tax return for me and my brother for the past 19yrs. My individual tax return stated zero income for curtain year this is because losses were carried over from my partnership, when I was audited they applied the asset betterment in which they determined that’s my income, anything going into my personal bank account was deamed as income, even home loan from bank was included as income, makes no sense to me, that there to me indicate they don’t understand what they doing.

I’ve provided all documents that they need, explained it even went to as far as a forensic accountant, to determine my income. Can’t seem to make them happy, it cost a lot to hire lawyers and accountant. So where do I go from here what other evidence can I provide? That’s why I’m on the ato community to ask for help. Only have next week left to provide evidence, then ato turn to respond, I don’t want to go to a hearing because it would cost a lot just for the lawyer and I can’t afford that the ato has deeds to the farm so I can’t borrow anything. Bullying at it best. This is going on for two years now and it’s taking a toll on the family and business. Any suggestions.

A few questions I would like to be answered if anyone can help.

Does one case officer look at a case or a group of officers look at a case and review it? If so who makes the decision? And can the Inspector-General of Taxation  do anything while it at the AAT? Thanks Farmeryee.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Farmeryee,

Thanks for coming back to us.

We don’t have access to any case information or personal details so we will do our best to provide you with as much information as possible.

The information that you have provided indicates that you have been through an audit and an objection.   They are treated as two different cases; it means that information you have provided has been reviewed twice by two different areas.

When the objection is received everything that has been provided by you or your representative is reviewed. They may then ask for more information or clarification before an objection decision is completed.

The audit area and the objection area work independently of each other.

You have advised that you have taken your case to the AAT; this is great as it means that you will receive an independent review of any decisions that have been made.

The inspector-General of Taxation can definitely be contacted while the case is with the AAT.

Thanks again for getting in contact.

KylieS

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 4

@Farmeryee 

Where are you at will all of this????   Hopefully this was all resolved in your favour ???

If this is still ongoing  get back to us....   as I may be able to assist with Asset Betterments etc.... 

Highlighted

Replies 3

Still on going, currently at the AAT, the ato still unhappy with the evidence provided.

just a bit of a delay because of covid 19. Don’t want want to go down that path of AAT.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

@Farmeryee 

unfortunately I am withdrawing my services from ATO community courtesy of a broken word from the ATO ..... I wish I knew how else to help you but unfortunately I don't ...  maybe ask the ATO to send me your registered ATO community email address ??

I wish you all the best ...

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 1

@Farmeryee  ...

Is that you in the online room ??

Pls identify yourself if it is you in that room or I will ban whoever it is in the room ....

@Farmeryee   respond to this pls

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0