Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Is it ok to work freelance whilst holidaying abroad

Views 701

Replies 3

Hello,
My question is, is it ok to work for a UK company through your Australian ABN as a sole trader whilst visiting the UK on holiday
(6 months tourist no visa)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Nicholasm ,

As long as your visa in the UK allows you to work, it's up to you whether you want to work or not. Bear in mind, Australian residents for tax purposes should declare income from Australia and overseas.(as per Item 20 Foreign source income.. especially under section, "Australian resident"). You may want to keep track of your expenses, while you do this work. Also, please check whether you need to do a UK tax return also, because any foreign tax paid will need to be included in your Australian tax return.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Nicholasm ,

As long as your visa in the UK allows you to work, it's up to you whether you want to work or not. Bear in mind, Australian residents for tax purposes should declare income from Australia and overseas.(as per Item 20 Foreign source income.. especially under section, "Australian resident"). You may want to keep track of your expenses, while you do this work. Also, please check whether you need to do a UK tax return also, because any foreign tax paid will need to be included in your Australian tax return.

Replies 1

Hey, im just not sure what my visa allows, because australians visiting the UK dont need a visa for 6 months, so technically i dont even have a visa

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Nicholasm

Thanks for getting back to us.

We suggest that you get in touch with our equivalent in the UK (HMRC) as well as the UK equivalent of our Department of Home Affairs to find out what work you are allowed to do in the UK.

Good luck with it.