Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Sole Trader also working Part time

Views 768

Replies 4

I am a sole trader working from home 1 day a week and I work part-time 4 days.

I work off my desk in a room doing software installations remotely. I have an ABN 

How do I lodge my tax return on line?

Do I choose individual or sole trader? ( I just started in 2019 )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @gmj58 

In addition to whats already been mentioned, you can lodge your tax online using our online services The link will show you how to set that up. We also have information about lodging online with Mytax and you will also have access to help from our consultants via live chat whilst you complete your tax return.

Thanks, Ari

4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @gmj58 

If you're an individual running a business, you must declare the income you earn from your business on your own tax return, using a separate business schedule. You don't need to lodge a separate tax return for your business.

PBlizz

Replies 1

Sorry to be so dense. So when I am submitting a tax return on line, will it ask me a question about Sole Trading?

And do I just add all my deductions for both personal and business together?

Its a small business which came to a halt when Covid started

Thanks for coming to my aid.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @gmj58 

As @PBlizz advised you only need to complete one income tax return. We have information on our website which covers off the tax time essentials for 2020. There is also additional information available for sole traders, which covers reporting and paying tax, as well as deductions.

There are also some really helpful videos on atoTV that may assist you further with completing your tax return in myTax.

Alternately your tax professional would be able to offer additional assistance.

Good luck with everything. 

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @gmj58 

In addition to whats already been mentioned, you can lodge your tax online using our online services The link will show you how to set that up. We also have information about lodging online with Mytax and you will also have access to help from our consultants via live chat whilst you complete your tax return.

Thanks, Ari