Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Sole trader freelancing for German company

Views 408

Replies 1

Hi there,

I am a German living in Australia on a permanent visa. I am considered an Australian resident for tax purposes. I have been offered to do translation work for a German company on a freelancing basis.

Is it correct that I need to apply for an ABN as a sole trader (my annual turnover as a sole trader will not exceed 75,000AUD!)?

Do I need to include any tax on the invoices I will send to the German company?

Thanks for your help! :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

@Hoolahoop 

From my understanding, you'll need to apply for an ABN.

You can do this as a sole trader if that is your chosen business structure.

If the sales don't exceed $75,000, then you will not be required to register for GST (Goods and Services Tax). Therefore you wouldn't be required to charge GST on the invoices.

Here's more information on a Sole Trader business structure:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Starting-your-own-business/Before-you-get-started/Choosing-your-busi...

I hope this points you in the right direction Smiley Happy

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

@Hoolahoop 

From my understanding, you'll need to apply for an ABN.

You can do this as a sole trader if that is your chosen business structure.

If the sales don't exceed $75,000, then you will not be required to register for GST (Goods and Services Tax). Therefore you wouldn't be required to charge GST on the invoices.

Here's more information on a Sole Trader business structure:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Starting-your-own-business/Before-you-get-started/Choosing-your-busi...

I hope this points you in the right direction Smiley Happy