Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Submitting Tax Return as a freelancer working overseas

I'm new

Views 417

Replies 1

Hi there,

I am needing some advice about my tax return.
I am currently living in Germany and working as a freelance designer. I am a bit confused about whether I need to lodge a tax return in Australia? I think I still classify as an Australian Tax resident. I am assuming I enter my gross profit as an income earned overseas. However I am not sure exactly how to do this as I have more than one client?

Has anyone had a similar situation or be able to offer some advice?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Emma1990,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It will all depend on whether you're considered an Australian resident for tax purposes. If so, you'll need to lodge an Australian tax return and declare your worldwide income. If you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you only need to lodge an Australian tax return if you received Australian sourced income. You can use our Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool to help you work it out.

If you're an Australian resident and need to lodge a tax return, you can lodge a tax return from outside Australia online via myGov if you have an Australian bank account, through an Australian registered tax agent or by post using the paper form.

Any foreign business income you've received is to be reported at label 20 Foreign source income of the supplementary paper tax return and you add up all your assessable foreign income and report it as one amount. You can use the other foreign income worksheet 1 to help.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Emma1990,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It will all depend on whether you're considered an Australian resident for tax purposes. If so, you'll need to lodge an Australian tax return and declare your worldwide income. If you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you only need to lodge an Australian tax return if you received Australian sourced income. You can use our Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool to help you work it out.

If you're an Australian resident and need to lodge a tax return, you can lodge a tax return from outside Australia online via myGov if you have an Australian bank account, through an Australian registered tax agent or by post using the paper form.

Any foreign business income you've received is to be reported at label 20 Foreign source income of the supplementary paper tax return and you add up all your assessable foreign income and report it as one amount. You can use the other foreign income worksheet 1 to help.

Thanks, JodieH.