Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Tax on foreign income for a temporary resident while I am out of country

Highlighted

Views 208

Replies 3

Hello,

I am a Temporary Resident in Australia (Student Visa - 500) and I earn my income by freelancing for foreign entities, making me a sole trader or self employed. Would the income I receive while I am in my home country (on a vacation, for example) also be taxable? As in, any income I receive to my home country's bank account would also need to be declared and included as a part of my normal Australian income?

From what I understand, the answer to my question is yes. Any income I receive from employment or my self employed freelancing work even when outside of the country is taxable similarly to the income I receive while in Australia. Is that correct? I just wanted to get a confirmation. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Dragooon 

Thanks for your question.

Whether you need to declare your foreign income depends on whether you’re an Australian resident for tax purposes. Residency for tax purposes is different to residency for immigration purposes.

You can use our Are you a resident? tool to help determine your residency status.

If you’re a resident for tax purposes, you’ll need to declare your foreign income on your tax return.

If you’re not a resident for tax purposes, you’re only taxed on your Australian-sourced income – generally you don’t need to declare your foreign income on your tax return.

Check out foreign income on our website for more information.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, NicM

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Dragooon 

Thanks for your question.

Whether you need to declare your foreign income depends on whether you’re an Australian resident for tax purposes. Residency for tax purposes is different to residency for immigration purposes.

You can use our Are you a resident? tool to help determine your residency status.

If you’re a resident for tax purposes, you’ll need to declare your foreign income on your tax return.

If you’re not a resident for tax purposes, you’re only taxed on your Australian-sourced income – generally you don’t need to declare your foreign income on your tax return.

Check out foreign income on our website for more information.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, NicM

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you for your reply @NicATO. According to the ATO form, I am a Resident for Tax purposes. So that means that any income I have (whether in Australia or in my home country) will be taxable within Australia, correct? 

The ATO website says this for Temporary Residents:

"Most of your foreign income is not taxed in Australia except income earned from employment or services performed overseas while you are a temporary resident"

Does this include income through self employment (from freelancing, for example)?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Dragooon

Thanks for getting back to us.

You may be treated as a temporary resident for income tax purposes if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and you also hold a temporary migration visa. For more information about the foreign income exemption for temporary residents, refer to our website.

If you meet the temporary resident requirements, most of your foreign income is not taxed in Australia except income earned from employment or services performed overseas while you are a temporary resident. Self-employment, e.g. freelancing, would be considered a form of employment or service provided.

If you would like us to take a closer look at your situation, you can request an early engagement discussion with us. For more information about our early engagement for advice service, have a look at our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR