Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Using ABN whilst overseas

Views 273

Replies 1

Hello. I have an abn for my small business which I registered in Australia. I am an Australian citizen currently living in Ireland on a working holiday for one year. I have a website for sales and will use local Irish businesses to complete orders. I am unable to register my business here in Ireland and as this is my base at the moment, do I have to cease all sales and operation using my Australian ABN as I am outside the country? Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lizzie_oz,

There wouldn't be a problem with you running your Australian ABN, as long as the sales are connected to Australia. If you are taking orders and filling them in Ireland, it would not be considered an Australian business.

However if you are taking orders in Australia and filling them from Ireland, it would still be a business connected to Australia and you would be entitled to an ABN.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lizzie_oz,

There wouldn't be a problem with you running your Australian ABN, as long as the sales are connected to Australia. If you are taking orders and filling them in Ireland, it would not be considered an Australian business.

However if you are taking orders in Australia and filling them from Ireland, it would still be a business connected to Australia and you would be entitled to an ABN.