Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: "Main business or professional activity" for Uber Drivers on Income Tax return

Highlighted

Views 11831

Replies 5

In the process of completing my income tax return I can across the following issue

Under the 'Business/sole trader, partnership and trust income (including loss details)' section it asks for:

What should this be?

'Ride-sharing' doesn't appear to be a viable option, nor does 'uber driver'. The closest I've been able to find is "TAXI DRIVER (EXCEPT OWNER OPERATOR)" or "OTHER ROAD TRANSPORT (EXCEPT TAXI)".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 3

It should gounder either:

'Ride Sourcing' - 15 Business own the car '46231'  or 14 PSI don't own the car '52991' 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Replies 0

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 3

'Ride Sourcing' - 15 Business own the car '46231'  or 14 PSI don't own the car '52991' 

Highlighted

Replies 2

I cannot find any of the three activities mentioned

@macfanboy wrote:

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @ishtiaqriaz

Welcome to our community.

I notice you have not said what your Main business or professional activity actually is. So if you are Ride Sourcing as a taxi @macfanboy has offered you two choices that may be applicable.

You should be able to see it in the (ABR) Australian Business Register where you can update your ANZSIC code.  Your choices should be reflected in the drop down for this label. It should reflect the main use of the ABN. See Updated your ABN details.

Thanks again for your first post.

Kind regards

MarkA

I'm new

Replies 0

After some hunting around, I used the last piece of advice from MarkATO, which was to look at the notice of registration details of my ABN. I had previously registered as a sole-trader - for the single purpose of conducting Ride Sourcing activities (primarily with Uber) - so the "Main business or professional activity" of my ABN has not been polluted/confused with any other possible business categories I might have undertaken. On the registration slip I received from the ATO it clearly states:

ANZSIC code                    9131 - Amusement Parks and Centres Operation

So when submitting my Tax Return via myGov/myATO, the "Main business or professional activity" for my ABN is:

"Amusement Parks and Centres Operation"

You can also find this information from the ATO's Business industry code search tool at:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Business-industry-code-tool/AnzsicCoder.aspx