ATO Community

Compulsory HECS-HELP debt repayments

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 445

Replies 1

Hi,

I recently started work again at the beginning of this year. I have a HECS-HELP debt and at the end of this FY2017-18, I ended up earning considerably less than the HELP debt repayment threshold.

However, during my pay cycles, as a result of the overtime I've done, it was calculated that by the FY end, i would have reached the threshold. Therefore, have had repayments deducted from my pay.

Since lodging my tax return, I was still not refunded the repayments incorrectly made.

How can this be worked out and my incorrect compulsory repayments be refunded?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TimB,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here on our Community, and we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account to check the calculation of your refund.

Generally, when you lodge your return, we'll calculate your total income and the amount of tax you're require to pay. We'll apply all credits (PAYG withholding) that have been withheld on your behalf during the year and apply these credits to your tax liability. Any overpayments will be refunded to you.

If you've lodged your tax return and received your Notice of assessment (NOA), you can phone us for an account explanation. You can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Have your TFN or NOA with you when you call so the operator can ask you some identity questions to access your account.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TimB,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here on our Community, and we can't guarantee it's safe to share personal information in an online forum so we can't access your account to check the calculation of your refund.

Generally, when you lodge your return, we'll calculate your total income and the amount of tax you're require to pay. We'll apply all credits (PAYG withholding) that have been withheld on your behalf during the year and apply these credits to your tax liability. Any overpayments will be refunded to you.

If you've lodged your tax return and received your Notice of assessment (NOA), you can phone us for an account explanation. You can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Have your TFN or NOA with you when you call so the operator can ask you some identity questions to access your account.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors