Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Re: Compulsory HECS-HELP repayments

Highlighted

Views 457

Replies 3

I have lodged my tax return and also received my return for 2019 but there is no compulsory HECS-HELP repayment shown on my myGov ATO account.

I am earning over the HRI threshold
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @Jeff3003,

You can view the payments made to your HELP loan by selecting the following menu options once you've accessed our ATO Online Services through myGov :

Tax > Accounts > Loan accounts > Click the link on that page saying 'Higher Eduction Loan Program (HELP) 552 Your name'

That should take you to the page where you will be able to see all the transactions made on your loan account including your compulsory repayments each year.

Hope this helps! Thanks, @NateATO

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @Jeff3003,

You can view the payments made to your HELP loan by selecting the following menu options once you've accessed our ATO Online Services through myGov :

Tax > Accounts > Loan accounts > Click the link on that page saying 'Higher Eduction Loan Program (HELP) 552 Your name'

That should take you to the page where you will be able to see all the transactions made on your loan account including your compulsory repayments each year.

Hope this helps! Thanks, @NateATO

I'm new

Replies 0

That path doesn't show payments my payslips as made by me. It just shows my debt payments to the loan. Where online in MyGov/ATO can I see the balance of payments (HLP/TS/SSL)  taken from my payslips for multiple tax years? Thanks.

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Steyn71

Thanks for your post.

We get variations of this question in our Community all the time. You may find the following thread useful: Regarding HECS Repayments through your employer

As mentioned in that thread, we also have a Knowledge Base Article that you can check out here: Paying my HELP debt

When you access our online services (via myGov), you will be able to view your HELP account as explained in our previous post. You will be able to see transactions such as compulsory repayments but you won't be able to view the additional amounts that your employer has withheld from your pay.

When your employer works out how much to withhold from your pay, they do so in accordance with the information from the tax file number declaration that you would have completed when you first started.

As you would have indicated that you had a HELP debt, whenever your weekly, fortnightly or monthly pay was over the compulsory repayment threshold, your employer would have increased the withholding amount accordingly.

If you are trying to work out how much more your employer would have withheld from your pay due to your HELP debt, you can use the tax withheld for individuals calculator on our website. You can find that by going to the tax withheld calculators page. Alternatively, you can work it out by checking out the tax tables page.

Your employer isn't required to report to us two withholding amounts (tax and HELP) because there is only one combined withholding amount. In turn, you won't be able to find anything online that provides a separate breakdown of how much was withheld from your pay for HELP loan repayment purposes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR