Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

HECS debt

Highlighted

Views 4106

Replies 3

Hi, so when I first started working for my current employer as a full timer I filled out the TFN declaration form and as I was over the threshold to repay my HECS debt and it was being deducted from my pay. However, I am now a casual employee at the same job and not over the threshold any more but my employer is still deducting from my pay to repay my HECS debt. What should I do to inform my employer to no longer deduct this payment?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @gabbems,

@Tracey74 is correct - check the tax tables first to make sure you are within the threshold.

You can complete a withholding declaration form if you want:

• your payer to adjust the amount withheld from payments made to you, or
  • to advise your payer of a change to information you previously provided in a Tax file number declaration.

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @gabbems

I would recommend that you have a look at the tax tables to see if your income is still within the amount where the HELP debt is payable, even if you are casual you still maybe reaching the amounts where they have to take additional tax

You must start making compulsory repayments against your study or training support loan when your repayment income exceeds the minimum repayment threshold.

*HELP/SSL/TSL weekly tax table

*HELP/SSL/TSL fortnightly tax table

*HELP/SSL/TSL monthly tax table

Please see, https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/When-must-you-repay-your-loan/#Y...

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @gabbems,

@Tracey74 is correct - check the tax tables first to make sure you are within the threshold.

You can complete a withholding declaration form if you want:

• your payer to adjust the amount withheld from payments made to you, or
  • to advise your payer of a change to information you previously provided in a Tax file number declaration.

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi @Tracey74 & @JodieH,

Thank you very much for responding to my question. I had a go at using the fortnightly earnings table and it says that my with tax-free threshold and no tax-free threshold amount are both $0. So in this case, I should be within the threshold right?

If so, I will definetley fill out a withholding declaration form to advise my payer of a change to information I provided in my TFN declaration form.

Thanks! Smiley Happy