ATO Community

Higher education scheme

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 46

Replies 1

On MyGov, higher education scheme page, it shows a balance of $0 as the "balance" but a "credit" amount of a few thousand dollars. The "debit" column shows nothing. Does that mean I have overpaid and money is owed to me? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @ASlingsby 

It’s hard to be sure what is happening as we can’t see your account here. However, we need to consider: 

• have you made any voluntary repayments recently that might have put your account in credit?
  • have you recently studied and used a HELP loan and are waiting for the debit amount to be put on your HELP account?
  • have you just lodged your recent income tax return and is it still processing? 

Any of of the above could impact the status of your HELP account. 

I would suggest if your return has finished processing and you are not waiting for extra amounts to be added to your HELP account from further study or you know you could have potentially overpaid an amount voluntarily, you should contact us for further detail to confirm if the amount should be refunded to you. 

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @ASlingsby 

It’s hard to be sure what is happening as we can’t see your account here. However, we need to consider: 

• have you made any voluntary repayments recently that might have put your account in credit?
  • have you recently studied and used a HELP loan and are waiting for the debit amount to be put on your HELP account?
  • have you just lodged your recent income tax return and is it still processing? 

Any of of the above could impact the status of your HELP account. 

I would suggest if your return has finished processing and you are not waiting for extra amounts to be added to your HELP account from further study or you know you could have potentially overpaid an amount voluntarily, you should contact us for further detail to confirm if the amount should be refunded to you. 

Top Solution Authors