ATO Community

How to get overpaid HECS back?

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 533

Replies 1

A number of years ago I mistakenly incurred a HECS debt due to a mistake on the part of the university.

I paid this debt exactly in July 2016, but forgot about the voluntary payment bonus, which was then added as a credit to my HECS account. 

The credit amount was not added to my tax return last year and is still there. How do I go about getting back the credit amount in my tax return this year?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @mozzarella1,

Welcome to Community! If you have an outstanding credit on your account, the fastest way to chase it up is to phone us.

Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 to talk with an operator. We can verify your identity, look into the account and work out the best way to send any genuine credits to the right account.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @mozzarella1,

Welcome to Community! If you have an outstanding credit on your account, the fastest way to chase it up is to phone us.

Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 to talk with an operator. We can verify your identity, look into the account and work out the best way to send any genuine credits to the right account.

Thanks!

Top Solution Authors