ATO Community

Overseas HECS Levy Due Date

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 414

Replies 1

Hello, 

I recently lodged my World Wide Income Tax Return 2017-2018 online as I have been working in Europe for the past 1.5 years. After lodging online, my online tax homepage says that I have an "Income Tax 551" payment obligation. My Tax Return is still awaiting to be processed. 

I want to know when my Income Tax 551 payment obligation needs to be paid (I assume this is the overseas HECS levy, which goes towards paying off my HECS loan). Also, is it possible to pay off this amount over two or three payments as opposed to a lump sum? 

Many thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ExpatinEurope,

Welcome to our Community!

You need to wait until your tax return has finished processing and we issue your notice of assessment (NOA). Your NOA will advise your taxable income, if you have a tax amount to pay and the due date for payment. Your NOA will be sent to your myGov inbox.

If you're unable to pay the tax amount in full by the due date, you can request a payment arrangement via myGov and ATO online services by selecting:

• Tax
  • Payments
  • Payment plans

You can check your Income tax 551 account and the effective date under:

• Tax
  • Accounts
  • Tax accounts

However, it's recommended to wait until your return has finalised and your NOA has issued to ensure the correct due date.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ExpatinEurope,

Welcome to our Community!

You need to wait until your tax return has finished processing and we issue your notice of assessment (NOA). Your NOA will advise your taxable income, if you have a tax amount to pay and the due date for payment. Your NOA will be sent to your myGov inbox.

If you're unable to pay the tax amount in full by the due date, you can request a payment arrangement via myGov and ATO online services by selecting:

• Tax
  • Payments
  • Payment plans

You can check your Income tax 551 account and the effective date under:

• Tax
  • Accounts
  • Tax accounts

However, it's recommended to wait until your return has finalised and your NOA has issued to ensure the correct due date.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors