Announcements
COVID-19 update: We will publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For now, check out the updated information on Treasury's website.

ATO Community

Overseas HECS Repayment

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 755

Replies 1

I have been living overseas for just over 6 years, and recently in conversation with another Australian they mentioned that the law had now changed and that if you had a HECS debt you now need to declare your overseas income. I of course insisted that couldn't be true, as the ATO would have to contact all the people living overseas to notify them of the changes and I hadn't heard anything about it. However, when I did some research online I did in fact find out that it was true and that foreign income now had to be declared through the new MyGov online system. Apparently there was a deadline for doing this notification but I’ve only just heard about it!

How are people already living overseas being notified of this change!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mark,

Welcome to our Community!

Changes to higher education/trade support loan legislation mean that if you have a HELP or TSL debt and are earning worldwide income that exceeds the minimum repayment threshold, you are required to make compulsory repayments (known as an overseas levy repayment) towards your debt from 1 July 2017, the same as those living in Australia.  These changes apply to new and existing HELP and TSL debts, and aim to support the sustainability of the HELP and TSL system.

From 2015, we have implemented a communication campaign to inform people with a HELP/TSL debt, and the general community, about these changes. The campaign has included two phases of digital advertising, paid and organic social media content, public relations articles and media coverage, as well as emails, SMS and letters sent directly to affected debtors.

Find more information about the overseas repayments program on our website, or phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8:00am and 5:00pm (AEDT) Monday to Friday to discuss your personal situation.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mark,

Welcome to our Community!

Changes to higher education/trade support loan legislation mean that if you have a HELP or TSL debt and are earning worldwide income that exceeds the minimum repayment threshold, you are required to make compulsory repayments (known as an overseas levy repayment) towards your debt from 1 July 2017, the same as those living in Australia.  These changes apply to new and existing HELP and TSL debts, and aim to support the sustainability of the HELP and TSL system.

From 2015, we have implemented a communication campaign to inform people with a HELP/TSL debt, and the general community, about these changes. The campaign has included two phases of digital advertising, paid and organic social media content, public relations articles and media coverage, as well as emails, SMS and letters sent directly to affected debtors.

Find more information about the overseas repayments program on our website, or phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8:00am and 5:00pm (AEDT) Monday to Friday to discuss your personal situation.

Thanks.