Announcements
COVID-19 update: We’ve published information on the Jobkeeper payment, early access to super, and cash boost for businesses and employers. You can also check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Overseas Income/ Paying My HELP Loan

Views 184

Replies 3

I've been overseas for the majority of this past tax year (11 months).
I've been a fully supported missionary with donors from Australia.
My income is over the threshold of $13,968.
I have a HELP debt.
I am unsure as to the following: 
#1 Are donations that I recieve through a mission agency considered Australian Income or Overseas Income?
#2 I believe I need to repay my HELP debt (and would like to anyway) - what answers would be applicable in my case?
#3 Assuming that my income is "Australian Income" - does it matter that I am an overseas resident?

Many Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@stumped77 

1. Australian Income

2.? If you want to pay some of it back then make voluntary payments.

3. No, because you are still considered to be an Australian Resident for tax purposes.

What is this threshold $13,968 that you speak of?

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?DocID=ITR/IT2674/NAT/ATO/00001&PiT=**TFN removed**35958

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@stumped77 

1. Australian Income

2.? If you want to pay some of it back then make voluntary payments.

3. No, because you are still considered to be an Australian Resident for tax purposes.

What is this threshold $13,968 that you speak of?

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?DocID=ITR/IT2674/NAT/ATO/00001&PiT=**TFN removed**35958

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hey! Thanks for your reply.
With #3 - I'm considered an australian resident for tax purposes if I earn money in Australia - regardless of the fact that I'm not in the country? Just double checking. Smiley Happy

I might have been confused with the threshold figure - too many things!
Thanks!

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0