Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Paid HELP Debt and money still being witheld by employer

Views 297

Replies 1

Hello,

I completed paying my HELP debt in Jan 2019 when i completed my 2017-2018 tax return.  I have not completed withholding declaration for my employer so I am currently having money withheld each pay .

How and where would I know to find the amount of money refunded on my 2018-2019 tax return, or if it has been refunded?

Thankyou in advance for any assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @casie11

You should look at your Notice of assessment for the 2018-19 year. You can find this on your ATO Online via myGov.

You should see your total taxable income , which is all your combined income less deductions, and the total Tax owing on your taxable income

You should then find your total PAYG tax witheld , which will include the HELP payments your employer witheld from your pay as you requested when you first notified thyem of your HELP debt.

The difference between the Tax owed and the total PAYG witheld figures is your net refund or debt.

When you pay off your loan in full, complete a new Withholding declaration (NAT 3093) to advise you no longer have a debt.

PBlizz

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @casie11

You should look at your Notice of assessment for the 2018-19 year. You can find this on your ATO Online via myGov.

You should see your total taxable income , which is all your combined income less deductions, and the total Tax owing on your taxable income

You should then find your total PAYG tax witheld , which will include the HELP payments your employer witheld from your pay as you requested when you first notified thyem of your HELP debt.

The difference between the Tax owed and the total PAYG witheld figures is your net refund or debt.

When you pay off your loan in full, complete a new Withholding declaration (NAT 3093) to advise you no longer have a debt.

PBlizz