• 23309 Members
  • 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Re-credit of HELP Debt

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 66

Replies 1

Hi, I recently applied for a re-credit of my HELP fees due to special circumstances.
I recieved a letter to say that my application was successful.
The letter says that TAFE NSW will forward this information to the Commonwealth Department of Education and my FEE-HELP loan balance will be re-credited.
It also says that The Australian Tax Office will be notified and my tax record will be updated accordingly.
So my question is how long will it take for this change to take affect and reflect in my MyGov page (I got the approval letter 5.7.19)
Or will I see no changes in my online accounts until I actually lodge my tax return?
Many thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @LozzDoggz,

Thanks for your question!

It really depends on how this re-credit was completed.

If this re-credit was for any other reason besides Tuition assistance, it should update in near or real time.

If the re-credit was due to Tuition Assistance, this can take quite some time to process. In this case, if the re-credit has not been applied and you are concerned about a compulsory repayment being raised on your next tax return, you will need to contact the Department of Education and Training immediately.

A departmental official will be able to advise you of the next steps. The ATO cannot undertake any further action at this time.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @LozzDoggz,

Thanks for your question!

It really depends on how this re-credit was completed.

If this re-credit was for any other reason besides Tuition assistance, it should update in near or real time.

If the re-credit was due to Tuition Assistance, this can take quite some time to process. In this case, if the re-credit has not been applied and you are concerned about a compulsory repayment being raised on your next tax return, you will need to contact the Department of Education and Training immediately.

A departmental official will be able to advise you of the next steps. The ATO cannot undertake any further action at this time.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors