ATO Community

Self Education Expenses Claimable

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 426

Replies 1

Over the last three tax years, I have been studying with the help of HECS/HELP. During that time I did not claim for the actual course fees.  Question 1: Can I claim when I am receiving assistance (ultinatley I still have to pay it back)

Question 2: Can I backdate my claim from when I first started to study?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Retha,

Welcome to our Community!

To be eligible to claim self-education expenses as a tax deduction in your tax return, the course must have a direct connection to your current work activities as an employee. You can't claim any HELP/HECS loans or other study or training support loan. You can find information about what you can and can't claim for self-education expenses on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Retha,

Welcome to our Community!

To be eligible to claim self-education expenses as a tax deduction in your tax return, the course must have a direct connection to your current work activities as an employee. You can't claim any HELP/HECS loans or other study or training support loan. You can find information about what you can and can't claim for self-education expenses on our website.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors