Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

Student fee deductions

Highlighted

Views 283

Replies 2

Hi. Could someone please advise if I am able to claim the student fees I have paid in the 18-19 financial year as a deduction/expense? I owed roughly $2100 once I did my previous year’s tax, as it was the first year I earned about the income threshold. So I paid that in about August last year. And then I made additional contributions throughout the year to reduce my student loan even more. I was told I could claim this total amount (approximately $2600) I have paid off my student loan when completing my tax return for the 18-19 financial year. Is it correct that, as long as I meet the criteria, I can claim the total amount under the education expenses part in my return? Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Najara 

We will need more information to understand what you are trying to claim on your tax return. What was the fee for? 

Here is someinformation on on claimimg self education expenses that might be able to help you. The study would need to have connection to your job and some student fees may be deductible and some are not. 

Have a a read through and please reach out if you have any questions. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

What exactly are the fees?

Hecs-Help

Fee-Help

etc

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Najara 

We will need more information to understand what you are trying to claim on your tax return. What was the fee for? 

Here is someinformation on on claimimg self education expenses that might be able to help you. The study would need to have connection to your job and some student fees may be deductible and some are not. 

Have a a read through and please reach out if you have any questions.