Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Student loan repayment and foreign income levy - lack of policy changes notification

Highlighted

Views 840

Replies 6

Hi,

I visited NZ in 2005 and have remained here as I now have a son and am not leaglly permitted to return back to Aus with him. When i left there was no MyGov, no requirement to submit online I was travelling, and no requirement to repay a student debt until one returns to Australia and starts earning an Australian Income.

Last week was the first time I received a letter (sent to my parents home in Perth) chasing my world wide income. The first time. I had no previous notification that the policy had changed years earlier and also that now i owe not only my $9000 debt but also a foreign income levy thats MORE than my student loan. Had i been notified of policy chages years ago i would not have hesitated in paying off my loan immediatly. Id like to know if the ATO has an ethical responsiility to notify those with a student loan about policy changes especially as the levies are enough to send anyone broke. I told my Australian friend who also lives here now about this policy change and she also unaware of the changes. She called ATO and found out she owes $44000. She is in shock, and i can only imagine how many others are out there blissfully unaware until they find out of this non-notified change. Also i do not feel being told by your customer service team that its my responosibility to check the ATO website for updates is acceptable seeing how long i have been out of the country earning NZ money and paying NZ tax. I have done all that has been asked of me this week, set up an online account and lodged my tax returns and set up a payment plan, but feel the levy is completely unjust. I owe my debt, that i cannot argue but owing $11000 on top of that because i wasnt informed of this change is rediculous! I would also like to request in writing from the ATO that once my HECS debt is cleared that i no longer need to submit my NZ income. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 5

Hi Solsmum, 

Thanks for you post, appreciate your concerns.

If you have updated your address with us you will receive a statement each year advising your loan balance.

We will check out some more information and get back to you.

KylieS

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 5

Hi Solsmum, 

Thanks for you post, appreciate your concerns.

If you have updated your address with us you will receive a statement each year advising your loan balance.

We will check out some more information and get back to you.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 4

Thank you for your reply its appreciated 😊 I was at my folks place when I left in 05 to travel so decided to keep my mail going to them. They send it on for me if it's important. I have now provided my nz address when I set up my mygov account last week...something else I also never knew about till i got your letter recently via my parents. Appreciate your help with this. As I mentioned I have no problem paying my student loan now I'm aware of the policy changes but the $11000 levy is what I feel is unjust because I had no knowledge of the changes. Neither did any of my Australian friends who have been living here also for years.
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @Solsmum

I did some further research and we have been given some general  information, that attempts were made to contact where possible. At community we don't have access to account information but if you would like to look into this further please use the overseas contact numbers.

You may wish to check out the information on our website regarding Overseas obligations when repaying loans.

Thanks

Kylie

Highlighted

Replies 2

May I please see records of these attempts?
Highlighted

Megastar

Replies 1

@Solsmum,

They said they don't have system access here, you would be better off making contacting someone that can look up your info.

Not sure if there is info here that could help.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Study-and-training-support-loans/Overseas-repayments/#Assessmentm...

Maybe you could check if its something you can lodge an objection about.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Dispute-or-object-to-an-ATO-decision/Object-to-an-ATO-decision/Decisi...

Highlighted

Replies 0

Ahhh true... thanks heaps I'll look into it. The folks send me all letters of importance so I find the attempts to contact me a little baffling...