• 27269 Posts

ATO Community

Applying TFN and leaving the country

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 559

Replies 2

Hi All,

I would be visiting Australia for a short period, less than 28 days. Meanwhile, I would like to apply for my TFN, as I would be eligible.

1. Now, if I apply for a TFN, will it be approved?
    1. I am not sure if there is requirement for issuing a TFN, that the person should be inside Australia while a TFN is issued.
  2.  Also, if I apply with an Australian postal address of my friend’s (where my TFN would be delivered) will that be an issue?
    1. Will this address be traced for any future tax application?
  3. Current home address: Can this address be an overseas address, or does it have to be an Australian address as well?

Basically, I am planning to apply for my TFN, so that in the future I don't have to wait for employment prospects (though we could applying during the initial 28 days of our employment).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dsri,

Thanks for reaching out!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however as we don't know all the details about your circumstances so we can't advise if your application will be approved or not.

If you're entitled to apply for a TFN, you can apply using one of the options on our website. If you apply whilst you're in Australia, you need to meet the three conditions outline on our website for Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors - TFN application.

If your TFN application is approved, we'll use the contact details you've provided to send you your TFN letter. So, you can provide an address of a friend or relative to send the letter to, however, this will be the address we have on file for you until you update it with us.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

Replies 0

Could anybody please reply for the same?

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dsri,

Thanks for reaching out!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however as we don't know all the details about your circumstances so we can't advise if your application will be approved or not.

If you're entitled to apply for a TFN, you can apply using one of the options on our website. If you apply whilst you're in Australia, you need to meet the three conditions outline on our website for Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors - TFN application.

If your TFN application is approved, we'll use the contact details you've provided to send you your TFN letter. So, you can provide an address of a friend or relative to send the letter to, however, this will be the address we have on file for you until you update it with us.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors