Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: Can't get the linking code to link ato to mygov

Highlighted

Views 6666

Replies 14

Dialled 13 28 61 number to get a linking code but after I press 1, they asked me for TFN then automated system did find my tax account and then say they can't find a record of lodged returns and asking how did I lodge it. of course I didn't lodge anything yet, because this is my first time. I'm living outside Australia. Does anybody know how to get the linking code of ato to mygov? and what numbers to press? I tried few of them, but didn't get me to a place where I can receive the linking code.

All the options were the following, but it doesn't contain any option to receive the linking code.

progress about the lodgement/ lost super anuation - press 1
apply to refund credit - press 2
arangement to pay - press 3
order forms or publications- press 4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 13

Hi @Har1000,

Welcome to our Community!

The easiest way to link your myGov account to the ATO is by answering a couple of questions online. You will be asked for two of the following:

• Notice of assessment from the last five years - if you've ever used a tax agent, they may have a copy.
  • PAYG payment summary or income statement from the last two years - this comes from your employer
  • Superannuation account statement from the last five years - these usually arrive in the mail
  • Centrelink payment summary from the last two years - only related to you if you've been involved with Centrelink, but if so you can get this from Services Australia
  • Bank account - this is any bank account you've had your tax refund paid into in previous years, or earned any level of interest in. Even daily 'spendings' accounts can accrue interest.

If you experience any issues, you can view our troubleshooting for individuals page.

Thanks, JodieH.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 13

Hi @Har1000,

Welcome to our Community!

The easiest way to link your myGov account to the ATO is by answering a couple of questions online. You will be asked for two of the following:

• Notice of assessment from the last five years - if you've ever used a tax agent, they may have a copy.
  • PAYG payment summary or income statement from the last two years - this comes from your employer
  • Superannuation account statement from the last five years - these usually arrive in the mail
  • Centrelink payment summary from the last two years - only related to you if you've been involved with Centrelink, but if so you can get this from Services Australia
  • Bank account - this is any bank account you've had your tax refund paid into in previous years, or earned any level of interest in. Even daily 'spendings' accounts can accrue interest.

If you experience any issues, you can view our troubleshooting for individuals page.

Thanks, JodieH.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you verymuch.

Highlighted

Replies 8

I have the same issue. Upon calling the number from overseas the officer said there is not enough information to verify my identity although I have given my Tax File Number, DOB et cetera.

I obtained my tax file number with my passport and identity card number. I am not an Australian nor do I have an Australian driver's license and I have not lodged any tax return as yet so there is no other information yet. 

How could I have any other information if I cannot lodge my tax return? I need the to access ATO through MyGov to lodge my tax. Why would such an issue even exist?

Would someone please help. Thank you so much.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @angchoi49

Frustrating I know. I am assuming from the post you lived and worked in Australia but now have departed and are seeking to lodge.

The identity process is designed to protect all taxpayers from fraud. I would suggest reviewing this video and see if you have done everything correctly to self help.In linking to the ato online it is important to respond accurately to identity questions online or over the phone. You may need to prepare to have the correct documents to hand before calling. We will be looking to establish particular information you have already provided us or should hold from us to authenticate your identity. Note the kind of documents mentioned in the video and the online information. Alternatively if you are unable to link and you are required to lodge for 2020 a paper lodgement obtained online may be a solution or you may wish to engage an Australian tax agent for assistance. For further information see Lodging your tax return from outside Australia.

I hope this helps.

MarkATO

Highlighted

Replies 6

Hi MarkATO,

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

I am a foreigner and have a rental property in Australia which I want to lodge tax. I am a first time lodger. 

I had dutifully filled up the form IND-TFN- NAT2628.pdf and obtained my TFN accordingly. I understand the need for security but I have all the documents available and answered all my identity questions correctly but ATO told me there is not enough details to establish my identity even after me telling them the date of the letter that I had received my Tax File Number. 

I just wish to fulfil my tax lodging obligation. I really hope that ATO looks into this problem as it would help someone who doesnt live in autralia to fulfil one's tax lodging obligation.

Would appreciate anyone who has a email that I can write to to resolve my issue. 

Regards,

Choi

ps: paper lodgement does not provide for the details that I require such as the depreciation and expenses that I have incurred for my rental property.

Can someone please guide me to a paper lodgement possibility of a rental property. One of which I can enter all the expenses, depreciation schedules etc. My son who co-own the property can lodge his return online with such format. He can get his linking code without issue. Can I delegate my lodgment to him? How do I do it?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @angchoi49,

I totally understand your frustration and I am sorry how difficult this seems to have been for you.

It looks like everyone has provided some really helpful information, however it sounds like you still have not had any success. I would suggest lodging a paper tax return this year, once this is done you should then find it easier to link to us through myGov in the future.

I do realise this is not the ideal solution and we appreciate your understanding.

Good luck with everything.

Highlighted

Replies 4

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have been troubled by this for a number of years. The property has been having negative returns with expenses more than income. Can I also file for the previous years from 2015 onwards?

I can find the general paper lodgement form but cannot find an appropriate form for the various interests and expenses deductions that I wish to claim which my son has managed to claim with the online lodging. Can I just forward his worksheet as we own the property 50% each? Mine is exactly the same as his.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Choi. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @angchoi49 

It sounds like you will need to complete a Supplementary tax return and you will find question 21 relates to rent.

Due to your issues connecting to myGov from overseas, You can download this form in (PDF) – download Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2020

These instructions will also you with working out you expenses.

Here is the link to the previous years you have requested.

Thanks

JoA

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you JoA very much for your reply and reference.

I see that your Supplementary tax is helpful to give a general deduction from the expenses. My son had lodged his tax and in the computer system of ATO it was in details with the breakdown of the small details. Is my filling going to be ok?

I also wish to consult anyone who may know how is the losses from rental income brought forward to subsequent years? My son had lodged his tax return with losses (using the ATO online entries) for a few years but the losses are not accumulated forward to subsequent years. Isn't it suppose to be automatically brought forward? Where should he and me account for these losses to be brought forward? Especially as I am filling for the years from 2016 onwards. Would appreciate anyone who may be able to enlighten us.

Is it better for me to file for 2016 then get the linking code then file the remaining years online using the ATO online entries or should I paper file for all the previous years?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Choi