Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Cant get linking code due unable to verify identity

Highlighted

Views 132

Replies 3

Hi,

Upon calling the from overseas I was told that there is not enough information to verify my identity although I have given my Tax File Number, DOB et cetera.

I told that I am not an Australian and do not have an Australian Identification but I do have my Malaysian Identification and passport which I used to obtain my Tax File Number. 

As I have not lodged my tax for my rental property before there is no other information to verify my identity but if I do not have the linking code how do I lodge my tax return for there to be more information?

Would the ATO and MyGOV have not enough personal information if they give me a Tax File Number to file for my property tax? I had provided my passport and identification card as well as my rental property to get the Tax File Number.

Would someone please help? Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @angchoi49,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you have your details with you, you should be able to create a new account and link to the ATO from overseas.

I found these steps on the website:

1. Create a myGov account at my.gov.au (skip the step to add an Australian mobile number if you don’t have access to one)
  2. Once you have created your account, download the ‘myGov Access app’ to update your sign in option to use security codes.
  3. You can now link to the ATO, go to the Services tab on your myGov home page and select ‘Australian Taxation Office’
  4. Provide the required info to confirm your identity and link your tax details.

There's some info here on the website https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/going-overseas/

I hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @angchoi49,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you have your details with you, you should be able to create a new account and link to the ATO from overseas.

I found these steps on the website:

1. Create a myGov account at my.gov.au (skip the step to add an Australian mobile number if you don’t have access to one)
  2. Once you have created your account, download the ‘myGov Access app’ to update your sign in option to use security codes.
  3. You can now link to the ATO, go to the Services tab on your myGov home page and select ‘Australian Taxation Office’
  4. Provide the required info to confirm your identity and link your tax details.

There's some info here on the website https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/going-overseas/

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Replies 1

I have registered with a new MyGov account and provided my details but still cannot link even after providing my details of Name. Tax File Number and birthdate. All the necessary information as required.

Without having the ability to file my tax what other information can the ATO have to verify? ATO does not tell me what other information they need to verify my identity though I can provide all the necessary information regarding my rental property that I need to lodge tax on.

This issue is really a headache for me. This issue is especially hard for us foreigner as we need to file our tax but have no avenue to do so. I just want to fulfil my tax obligation and the Tax File Number has been issued to me with all the necessary security checks prior. That process has also taken a long time.

Can someone please help for this issue please?

Thank you very much.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @angchoi,

I understand your frustration and I have provided you some guidance in this thread.

Good luck with everything.