Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: I have lost my tax file number.how can I retrieve it?

Views 99257

Replies 8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @shonna22,

You can find your tax file number through:

• a myGov account linked to the ATO under the 'Find my TFN' section
  • on any previous ATO letters or notices we've sent you

If you can't locate your TFN in these places, you'll need to give us a call and answer some identity questions to access your account.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

8 REPLIES 8

Taxicorn

Replies 0

It will be on your payment summary provided by your employee or you can ring the ATO on 13 28 61 and talk to them.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @shonna22,

You can find your tax file number through:

• a myGov account linked to the ATO under the 'Find my TFN' section
  • on any previous ATO letters or notices we've sent you

If you can't locate your TFN in these places, you'll need to give us a call and answer some identity questions to access your account.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

Replies 3

Hi currently overseas for many years and i have forgotton  / lost my TFN , how can i find out what it is?

Thanks

Gary

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @29thomas

I found a similar question that we've previously answered - you can check out the post here.

Replies 1

Thnaks for the details , as i said i am in Indonesia at the moment and to call from overseas no doubt i will put on hold for a long time..what is the other alternative to contact someone to help find my TFN...

Thanks

Gary

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @29thomas

Unfortunately, calling will be your fastest method to obtain your TFN. Another option is to submit a TFN enquiry form, however this will take much longer due to processing and postage times. That link provided will take you to the TFN application page - it's the same form for applying for one, but we send out your existing TFN. 

I'm new

Replies 1

I have My TFN, but when I try to link to the ATO with my details it is saying my details are wrong. Everything is correct so I just need to double check my TFN.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ralphthedog

If you're looking to check your details with us you'll need to contact our individuals area. The number is available on our contact us page under individual enquiries.