Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Is my TFN legit?

Views 1650

Replies 6

I accidentally purchased my TFN off taxfilenumber.org as it was the first link that appeared when I google searched it. I paid 90$. Is my TFN still legit and valid to give to my employers?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

I'm sorry to say that the organisation is legit and I doubt you will get your money back. 

Check out this other thread where the ATO has provided a response about these people. They are registered and they are legally able to charge you for helping you to get a tax file number from the ATO. 

Again the tax file number you get will be real. 

On a personal level I don't agree this should be allowed but I guess there is a difference between something being legal and being right. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Yes it will be legit. That organisation is registered and the TFN you get will be from the ATO. They have just chosen to offer a service to help people get something you can get for free directly from the ATO. 

I am sorry you were unaware and got caught out. I hope the ATO will at least pay to and their free TFN results higher on google. 

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you so much!
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 3

All Tax File Numbers are free from the ATO.

Never click on any links at the top of searches as ALL adverts go there.

I would be seeking a refund ASAP and report this to the ATO ASAP

https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/Report-fraud,-tax-evasion,-a-planning-scheme-or-unpaid-s...

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you for the link and advice. I have just submitted a report! 

Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

I'm sorry to say that the organisation is legit and I doubt you will get your money back. 

Check out this other thread where the ATO has provided a response about these people. They are registered and they are legally able to charge you for helping you to get a tax file number from the ATO. 

Again the tax file number you get will be real. 

On a personal level I don't agree this should be allowed but I guess there is a difference between something being legal and being right. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Claredavern93

Thanks for getting in touch!

The information @wonka5 and @macfanboy have provided is correct - you should receive your TFN in 28 days and we will send it to the address on the application on official ATO letterhead. You can contact us once you've received your TFN to confirm.  

If you are concerned about the practices of this tax agent then a complaint can be lodged with the Tax Practitioners Board which is the regulatory authority for tax agents.

Thanks, JodieH.