ATO Community

Passport Number has changed - does this affect my TFN?

Ask a question
Highlighted

RS
I'm new

Views 464

Replies 1

Hello,

I had applied for (and received) my TFN back in March of 2016 using my passport number at that time however, I recently received a new passport and was just wondering as to whether my current TFN is now deemed invalid because the old passport itself is now invalid? Would my passport number need updating?

Any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RS,

Welcome to our Community!

No, you don't need to update your passport details for your TFN. When you applied for your TFN you would have been required to provide certain information to prove your identity - one being your passport details at the time.

Once your TFN application is processed and you received your TFN, this will be your TFN for life and you won't need to apply for a new one in the further.

General information you do need to keep updated with us includes your:

• name
  • date of birth
  • bank accounts
  • nominated representative, and
  • contact details such as address.

If you need to update any of these details with us, you can do so online via myGov. Alternatively, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RS,

Welcome to our Community!

No, you don't need to update your passport details for your TFN. When you applied for your TFN you would have been required to provide certain information to prove your identity - one being your passport details at the time.

Once your TFN application is processed and you received your TFN, this will be your TFN for life and you won't need to apply for a new one in the further.

General information you do need to keep updated with us includes your:

• name
  • date of birth
  • bank accounts
  • nominated representative, and
  • contact details such as address.

If you need to update any of these details with us, you can do so online via myGov. Alternatively, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors