Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: TFN suspension?

Views 27167

Replies 11

I just received a robo phone call from a mobile number, claiming to be by Services Australia, stating that my tax file number has been suspended.

It went on to ask me to press a key to find out more, I did not do this, instead I hung up as I thought it all to be a bit suspect.

So why whould they not send a letter first instead of phoning?

And why would a recently used tax file number be suspended?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Sir-Rohsis 

There are many different scams going around at any time, and you were right to use your best judgment.

Services Australian have published Know how to spot fake emails, text messages, websites or phone calls.   You can also email the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk   to report the text that you recieved.

PBlizz

11 REPLIES 11

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Sir-Rohsis 

There are many different scams going around at any time, and you were right to use your best judgment.

Services Australian have published Know how to spot fake emails, text messages, websites or phone calls.   You can also email the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk   to report the text that you recieved.

PBlizz

Replies 1

Just heard over the radio news, that this is a scam. Apparently they end up posing as a police officer, who demands gift cards as the only way to pay your fine........yeah right!

Scumbags!

I'm new

Replies 0

Thankyou Sir Rhosis. Answered my question

Replies 2

I just received a robo-call from caller ID 0208799230 I presume with similar details.

From memory the script had words to the effect of:

Illegal activity has been detected on your Tax File Number. Your account has been suspended and then there was an option to press 1 for ???

I hung up before I got further.

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @jmcd

Thanks for letting the Community know about this. It sounds like you did the right thing by hanging up.

For more information about scams and how to report them, have a look at the scam alerts page on our website.

Replies 0

Thanks @ChrisATO,

I've already filled the scam report out.

I'm new

Replies 2

I just missed a call from 0436376491 and received the same message saying this is the department of services australia, your tax file number has been suspended due to illegal activity and to avoid having an arrest warrant issued press 1 now. 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Warren1,

This sounds like a Scam call, please do not respond to it.

We would not advise you there is a warrant out for your arrest on a recorded message. Please contact us at your earliest convenience. We can access you record to advise you if anyone from ATO has tried to contact you.

If this is a scam you can provide us with the details over the phone. We will send the information through to be followed up by our fraud investigation area. 

The link above also provides you with information about scammers. They may try again but do not attempt to contact them. You can use our website for our contact details anytime. 

Stay safe.    

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi Warren,

Just had the same experience from mobile number 0435 687 740 . Just blocked them as spam, reported them to Hiya and this site.. If everyone does this, anyone who googles this scam will see it for what it is.