ATO Community

Tax Scams

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 264

Replies 3

Hey so I just went onto this website called www.taxfilenumber.org and they asked for $70 after I put a bunch of details in (which I stupidly paid) and now I’m concerned it could have been a scam. Is this a scam website? Should I block my cards/ accounts and change passwords?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @klquinn12,

Thanks for getting in contact to check this with us, we’re sorry to hear about your experience. We have looked into it and we can confirm this tax agent is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board and is a legitimate tax agent. If you don’t receive your Tax File Number or have concerns regarding your personal details you can lodge a complaint with the Tax Practitioners Board and they can investigate further.

Tax file numbers are available for free through the ATO however tax professionals are also able to provide this service to their clients at a cost.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks @NateH

3 REPLIES 3

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @klquinn12,

Thanks for getting in contact to check this with us, we’re sorry to hear about your experience. We have looked into it and we can confirm this tax agent is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board and is a legitimate tax agent. If you don’t receive your Tax File Number or have concerns regarding your personal details you can lodge a complaint with the Tax Practitioners Board and they can investigate further.

Tax file numbers are available for free through the ATO however tax professionals are also able to provide this service to their clients at a cost.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks @NateH

Replies 1

Regardless of taxfilenumber.org  being run by a legitimate tax agent, the site and the service they offer is deceptive and effectively a scam.

They imply that they are the official site to apply for a TFN and they currently charge $99 to do exactly what you could do yourself in 2 minutes for free on the real ATO/Auspost site.

@klquinn12   you should ask your bank to do a chargeback as you didn’t receive the service their website promised

This is the real site to apply for a TFN (for free):

https://identityservice.auspost.com.au/ato/landing

Master

Replies 0

@Astraea I’ve come across a few people that have used this service and found it disappointing they had paid for something they felt like they could have got for free. 

Personally I don’t think it’s fair, but I guess no matter how much we don’t like it, in the end they are not breaking any laws or even any rules. That’s probably why there is not a lot the ATO can say here. 

Top Solution Authors