Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Was told i need a new tfn

Views 902

Replies 7

Cant link my gov because i got a new phone number. Called ato and he said i need a new tfn???????
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Allsopp_sam  @Jack1704 

You get 1 tax file number and that's it.

You would never get 'another' tax file number, it stays with you until death.

Make sure that you request the name of the person who is helping you in the future so you can report them for giving out useless information.

Try to create a new myGov account with a different email address.

7 REPLIES 7

Dynamo

Replies 6

@Allsopp_sam 

Here's what I've found on the myGov website

"If you change your mobile number, you must update your myGov account first, in your account settings. If you don't update your number, you won't get the SMS code and be able to sign in. You won't have access to your account and you'll need to call the myGov helpdesk and create a new account"

Here's the relevant link to this information

https://my.gov.au/mygov/content/html/help.html#textMsgCode

To contact the myGov help desk, I believe the number is 13 23 07.

Its definitely not because you need a new TFN.

Replies 4

Ive done that and tried answering the questions but it wont exept accept any of the answers, so i called ato and he wouldn't give me the linked in code

Dynamo

Replies 3

@Allsopp_sam 

So did he say that he couldn't provide a linking code because you need a new TFN? That seems odd.

Replies 2

Thats what i said. I refused the new tfn and he said he wouldn't help me

Dynamo

Replies 1

@Allsopp_sam 

That is frustrating. I don't believe there is any other way to get a linking code apart from calling up the ATO. My best bet would to call up again and hopefully get another operator who would be able to assist.

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Allsopp_sam  @Jack1704 

You get 1 tax file number and that's it.

You would never get 'another' tax file number, it stays with you until death.

Make sure that you request the name of the person who is helping you in the future so you can report them for giving out useless information.

Try to create a new myGov account with a different email address.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Allsop_sam

@macfanboy is correct, if you already have a TFN then that will generally always be your TFN you wouldn't be issued with a new one if you applied.

Just to clarify you said you can't link to Mygov because you have a new phone number does that mean you have an existing Mygov account where you receive a code to your phone when you log in?

If that's the case then the information @Jack1704 is relevant and you'll need to start again and create a new Mygov account. You will need to use a different email address this time or if you want to use the same email address then you need to request Mygov to release it as its attached to your existing account.

Once you have your new Mygov account set up and you're able to access it then you can contact us for a linking code to access our online services.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Ari