Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Withdraw TFN application

Views 776

Replies 4

Hello, a few days ago I applied online for a TFN and then realized that I wont need it as I wont be working. Can I request to stop/ cancel the application process or withdraw my application? Since it has only been a few days, I doubt that the TFN is issued yet.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nicole1976,

It will depend if you provided enough information online for the TFN application to process. If you did the TFN will issue automatically, we would not be able to stop it. The issuing of an Australian TFN will not cause you any problems. Generally individuals require one if they intend to work, study or have income to declare in Australia.

You are not obligated to lodge a tax return just because you have a TFN. You can view the Do I need to lodge calculator when determining your lodgement requirements. In the event you are not lodging you would need to send through a Non Lodgement advice.

Regards,

Jodie2.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @ Nicole1976

Thanks for your question. I just need to ask for a little bit more information. Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes? If you are an Australian resident did you go to Australia Post to provide your identity documents? If you haven't attended your Australia Post appointment your application won't process.

Thank you for contacting us and have a nice day!

Replies 2

Thank you for your prompt reply, 

No, I am not an Australian resident for tax purpose

what will happen with my application now? Can I request to cancle it? Or will it be automatically canceled if I don't go to the post appointment?

Replies 1

Also, I would like to add that I am a newly arrived PR with foreign passport, I belive I applied by mistake.. 

please advise 

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nicole1976,

It will depend if you provided enough information online for the TFN application to process. If you did the TFN will issue automatically, we would not be able to stop it. The issuing of an Australian TFN will not cause you any problems. Generally individuals require one if they intend to work, study or have income to declare in Australia.

You are not obligated to lodge a tax return just because you have a TFN. You can view the Do I need to lodge calculator when determining your lodgement requirements. In the event you are not lodging you would need to send through a Non Lodgement advice.

Regards,

Jodie2.