Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Wrong name on TFN

Initiate

Views 2375

Replies 10

Hi,

I was issued with a NSW TFN over 20 years ago, there is a typo in my surname one letter. I have used this TFN for years and never bothered to correct it. I now live overseas and I would like to correct the typo but there is no online service. My REST super is also in the incorrect name. I am trying to prove my address in NSW for the Australian Embassy and I am pretty much not alive. How can I fix this online without incurring international charges for postage and making international calls it really isn't convenient for me especially if I'm placed on hold for over 20 mins.

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @rhee75,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you unlink your Centrelink from your MyGov account you should be able to link with us even with the misspelling of the name. Once linked, you can then update your name through the ATO link on MyGov. If you do it this way, however, you will need an Australian marriage certificate, Australian birth certificate (not an extract), or Australian change of name certificate.

We will also need one of those documents if you ring us up, you would just need to read the details over the phone. If you don't have these documents, you will need to try and organise a way to get at least one of them.

Hope this goes well for you!

10 REPLIES 10

Champion

Replies 9

Using ATO online services is the quickest way to update your details. To access ATO online services you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO. You can use this service to update your: contact details or authorised contacts.

Initiate

Replies 0

Initiate

Replies 0

Hey Lewis,
Thank you for reply, unfortunately I can’t even make a gov.au account because my details are incorrect there is a mismatch on the names. It’s only one letter . I have a Centrelink account from years ago and I tried to link my ATO but it’s a mismatch name .
Any other way ?

Thanks

Initiate

Replies 6

Hi Lewis,
Thank you for your reply.
I do have a mygov account but I can’t link my ATO unfortunately the names are a mismatch. Any other way to fix this online ?

Thank you

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @rhee75,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you unlink your Centrelink from your MyGov account you should be able to link with us even with the misspelling of the name. Once linked, you can then update your name through the ATO link on MyGov. If you do it this way, however, you will need an Australian marriage certificate, Australian birth certificate (not an extract), or Australian change of name certificate.

We will also need one of those documents if you ring us up, you would just need to read the details over the phone. If you don't have these documents, you will need to try and organise a way to get at least one of them.

Hope this goes well for you!

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi,

Thank you, I will try it and I hope it works. Yes, I have a marraige certificate so it will ease the process. 

Initiate

Replies 3

Hi

I unlinked my centrelink and then tried I got this message. I also deleted my mygov acc and made a new one,it also didn't work.

A932.02 - Ineligible to link

You are ineligible to link the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to your myGov account as the ATO has insufficient information to verify your identity.

This may be information that the ATO created, or information that has been reported to the ATO by an institution that you deal with.

Initiate

Replies 2

I called the ATO international line 10 mins ago after a 20 mins phone call I got all my details adjusted using my birth certicate and TFN. I asked for a statement of verification so I could notify my super fund but it took too long and I had to hang up. I just tried with my new details to sign and no luck I will try in 24 hours again. Any idea how to notify my super company that I have updated my name or does it happen automatically ?

Thanks

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Thanks for posting @rhee75

I'm glad to hear your details have been updated!

Giving it a few hours will allow your details to be updated and you should be able to link to myGov. You will need to contact your super fund to have your name updated in their systems. Here is the link to the REST super information on changing details.

Hope this helps!