Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

tax file number . org

Views 524

Replies 4

Hi,
I’m really hoping that someone can help me. I recently got my first tfn and was not aware that it was free. I went onto the website tax file number.org and was tricked into paying $99. This happened on Sunday the 20th of September. Since then I’ve been emailing everyday asking for a refund and have had no reply, I haven’t been able to find a phone number either. I work very hard for my money and am starting to think I may not be able to get my $99 (that’s a lot of money). Can anyone help? I am really frustrated and annoyed that I haven’t got my money back. Please reply and help me get my money back from this terrible website. Much appreciatedSmiley Happy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Clearly & unfortunately, you are not the first or the last to have paid for a TFN - while a TFN is obtained for free from the ATO, there are organisations that provide the service for a fee so it is unlikely you will be able to get your money back 

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Clearly & unfortunately, you are not the first or the last to have paid for a TFN - while a TFN is obtained for free from the ATO, there are organisations that provide the service for a fee so it is unlikely you will be able to get your money back 

Replies 1

Thank you for replying. I understand what you’re saying. Surely there’s got to be some way to get my money back, websites like these shouldn’t be allowed. Also, does anyone happen to have the phone number of the place?

Devotee

Replies 0

These websites typically do not provide contact details & given they have provided a service, I really can't see how you will get your money back 

Replies 0

Hi Emma,

I fell for this unscupulous rort. I foolishly applied for a number for my 15 yo. to taxfilenumber.org. I realized my mistake straightaway and sent an email. I emailed tfn.org straightaway. Their response was unfavourable citing I had agreed to the terms and conditions.to I had no recourse. I replied to them again saying that it was unfair. but I got the same reply that it was too late. I wouldnt let it go so I searched and found this webite (ATO Community) and found it was not uncommon for people to be fooled by them. I sent a third email citing that I would complain to the the Tax Practitioners governing body (Tax Practitioner Board)  for unprofessional & misleading behaviour on their part. This changed their mind and I received my money back.

My advice is not to give up.
Good Luck
Louise