Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Capital Gains Tax

Views 607

Replies 2

Hi I have a question regarding capital gains tax on a residential property. The property is my Mothers, who currently in a nursing home. Its looking like she will not be able to return home due to various health reasons.

Mums house is being looked after by one of her Grand Daughters (rent free). Mum still has all her belongings in the house and still recieves all her mail at her house. I have been told that if Mum is not living in her house we will have to sell it before two years (not living in the house for a period of two years) to avoid paying capital gains tax, is this correct?

Thanks Flick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If your Mum is not using it to earn income and has no other property she can continue to treat it as her main residence indefinitely and not pay CGT.
If she earns income from it, you have a maximum 6 years before you need to sell it. Have a look on ato.gov.au to make sure these rules suit your scenario: https://www.ato.gov.au/general/capital-gains-tax/your-home-and-other-real-estate/your-main-residence...
2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If your Mum is not using it to earn income and has no other property she can continue to treat it as her main residence indefinitely and not pay CGT.
If she earns income from it, you have a maximum 6 years before you need to sell it. Have a look on ato.gov.au to make sure these rules suit your scenario: https://www.ato.gov.au/general/capital-gains-tax/your-home-and-other-real-estate/your-main-residence...

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

I have been told that if Mum is not living in her house we will have to sell it before two years (not living in the house for a period of two years) to avoid paying capital gains tax, is this correct?

No, but it sounds like how the age pension asset test is applied.