Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Covid home office deduction & self-education

Views 880

Replies 3

I'm aware that the ATO have issued an increased home office deduction rate for those who have had to work from home during Covid. From brief reading, it appears that an individual must have only incurred "increased expenses" in things such as electricity & other home running expenses. The home office deduction for those claiming self-education is that they must have a designated area within their home. I have yet to see anything clarifying if the new Covid rate for home office expenses is applicable to those already eligible to claim self-education expenses. Does anyone have additional insight? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

I see your point but I think it is given that there is always an element of home work when you are studying. It is the nature of learning. In the end it doesn’t matter as the ATO hasn’t allowed for this in the 80c rule, so you can’t claim it.
3 REPLIES 3

Champion

Replies 2

@Sam98 when they mean they have incurred increased expenses - they have increased as they don't usually work from home. They are only working from home due to the current covid situation. 

Replies 1

Thanks @sparklemoon2021, but my point was that most of those claiming self education expenses would also have been forced to study from home, arguably creating the same situation as those working from home

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

I see your point but I think it is given that there is always an element of home work when you are studying. It is the nature of learning. In the end it doesn’t matter as the ATO hasn’t allowed for this in the 80c rule, so you can’t claim it.