Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Driving Uber under a company or trust

Highlighted

Views 1804

Replies 1

Hi,

I been approached by two different clients in last week asking if they can drive uber under a company abn. I did told them that they can't do it as ride sharing is done as a sole trader. They told me it is very common thing in melbourne and uber do accept company registration and pays them in company account. Am I missing something here.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 0

A company can conduct a ride share service, there are numerous taxi and uber owners that structure their affairs in this manner and its all legitimate.

The cost of setting up a company usually puts some off as they simply can not justify the cost when compared to their earnings.

If you go down this path, then you will have to keep in mind that it will be the company that is conducting the ride shareing service and accordingly will have to apply for an TFN, ABN and Register for GST.

ATO general line 13 28 66

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 0

A company can conduct a ride share service, there are numerous taxi and uber owners that structure their affairs in this manner and its all legitimate.

The cost of setting up a company usually puts some off as they simply can not justify the cost when compared to their earnings.

If you go down this path, then you will have to keep in mind that it will be the company that is conducting the ride shareing service and accordingly will have to apply for an TFN, ABN and Register for GST.

ATO general line 13 28 66