Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: I am Canadian and will be working in Canada for an Australian Company, how do I file my taxes?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 66

Replies 3

Is it better/easier to be employed by the Australian company while residing in Canada or bill them as contractor for tax purposes? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

I am not a permanent resident but was working and paying tax in Australia for a different company (482 visa). I have now been offered a new job with another australian company but will live in Canada. 

That sounds like your AUS tax residency will cease when you leave AUS, so your original question needs to be asked in Canada.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Replies 2

Is it better/easier to be employed by the Australian company while residing in Canada or bill them as contractor for tax purposes? 

Are you an AUS resident for tax purposes now?

If so, will you continue to be an AUS resident for tax purposes while working in Canada?

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi Bruce,

I am not a permanent resident but was working and paying tax in Australia for a different company (482 visa). I have now been offered a new job with another australian company but will live in Canada. 

Thanks for your help

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Replies 0

That sounds like your AUS tax residency will cease when you leave AUS, so your original question needs to be asked in Canada.