Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

MyGOV Id - Machine Credentials on desktop software

Highlighted

Views 1750

Replies 7

I am using Software Assistant desktop version and it is asking for the M2M password in setting up the machine credentials. What is this? what happens if I have forgotten this password? How do I retrieve it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @RL,

Thanks for your patience. Lots of instructions here for you but should fix the problem

When you revoke a machine credential, it doesn’t remove the keystore file. This is the file which is actually stored on your computer. The reason you are getting the password mismatch error is because you still have a keystore file at the location identified in the keystore path when you go to create your new machine credential.

The easiest way to resolve this, is to go into RAM, create a new machine credential, and then change the name of the keystore file in the ‘Keystore path’ field. When you go to create a machine credential, you only need to add or remove a character from the keystore name. The default is ‘keystore-new.xml’. Just change this to ‘keystore-new1.xml’ and then you can set a new keystore password.

What you should do next is locate your old keystore file (for which you have forgotten the password) and delete it. This will save any confusion for when you create a new keystore file. The best way to do this is to note the keystore path (when you create a new machine credential) and then locate the keystore file and delete it.

KylieS

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

VIP

Replies 6

Hi RL  -might need some more information on this one.

have you already downloaded you machine credential from RAM? what software are you using?

Business Lead
Digital Communication and Identity Services
Highlighted

Replies 5

Yes, I have already downloaded the machine credentials via Authorisation manager website. Now I am setting up the machine credentials on my desktop software using Thomson Reuters Software Assistant. It is asking for the M2M password. Where do I get this from? What happens if I have forgotten it?

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @RL,

We will check it out for you.

KylieS
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @RL,

When setting up your machine credential you’ll complete details on your keystore. This is where the machine credential will be created and stored on your device.

You’ll need a keystore password, however this is not an existing password but rather one you choose. Your password should have a minimum of ten characters and include at least one upper case letter, lower case letter, number and special character. You’ll also need to provide this password within your software either when setting up or authenticating.

If you forget your keystore password after you’ve created the machine credential, you cannot reset it. You’ll need to create a new machine credential (via RAM) and specify a different keystore path. This will let you to create a new keystore with a new password.

You may wish to cancel (or revoke) the existing machine credential, for which you have forgotten the keystore password.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi,

I have revoked my Machine Credentials as per your advice but when I tried to create a new machine credential and enter a new keystore password, I get an error message saying the new password does not match the old one which I have forgotten. 

Thanks

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @RL,

Thanks for coming back to us will check into this further.

KylieS

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @RL,

Thanks for your patience. Lots of instructions here for you but should fix the problem

When you revoke a machine credential, it doesn’t remove the keystore file. This is the file which is actually stored on your computer. The reason you are getting the password mismatch error is because you still have a keystore file at the location identified in the keystore path when you go to create your new machine credential.

The easiest way to resolve this, is to go into RAM, create a new machine credential, and then change the name of the keystore file in the ‘Keystore path’ field. When you go to create a machine credential, you only need to add or remove a character from the keystore name. The default is ‘keystore-new.xml’. Just change this to ‘keystore-new1.xml’ and then you can set a new keystore password.

What you should do next is locate your old keystore file (for which you have forgotten the password) and delete it. This will save any confusion for when you create a new keystore file. The best way to do this is to note the keystore path (when you create a new machine credential) and then locate the keystore file and delete it.

KylieS