Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Problems with Mygovid security documents for married ladies

Highlighted

Views 862

Replies 4

Why is there no warning to married ladies to not use your birth certificate if their name differs.  As this will lock up the security system on the MygovID app and you have to uninstall and start again.  I have spent hours on setting this up. Finally got in to ATO site using the MygovID, which was prompting me to increase by ID status.  So I did. The only option given, was to load up my birth certificate.  Could not use Medicare card.  Had already used Drivers License and Passport. And whammo did as asked and the app on my phone is locked.  ATO advised to uninstall and start again.  Why can't it use a marriage certificate? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 2

Hi @Jonbuff and @TaxedoMask 

Thank you for your posts. We are continuously updating our digital products based on community feedback.

To setup a Standard identity to access ATO online services, you only need to verify two of the following four identity documents:

• driver’s licence
  • Medicare card
  • birth certificate
  • passport

The option to increase your identity strength beyond Standard is not available, however this function will be added in late 2020. Currently none of the government services which use myGovID require a higher identity strength.

In future releases of myGovID additional documents will be available such as:

• marriage certificates
  • change of name certificates
  • Australian visa

We have been engaging with the business community throughout the planning and delivery stages of myGovID. During the initial design phase of the app, volunteers from businesses and tax practitioners provided feedback on the product prior to releasing to the public. In addition, the public has the opportunity to provide their feedback through the myGovID website.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

@Jonbuff thanks for the heads up! Tax professionals and early adopters of the platform are the guinea pigs. Rather than conduct robust internal testing, releasing it to the public allows others to discover problems for them to solve later. I suspect it allows the heads of the ATO's tech departments / project managers, to say they have "delivered" on the project (either early or on time) without having conducted sufficient testing.

Based on the feedback, reviews and discussions I'm reading (from users / other tax professionals) - it sounds like the myGovID was poorly designed, implemented and communicated. The design needs to cater for variations and the realities of how professional services firms operate.

A number of practical and security considerations raised appear to have been ignored / thrown out the window - unsurprising given the frequent practice of assigning work to the lowest bidder. Whilst development on the fly and an "agile" approach may work for software development start-ups, I cannot see how this should be the practice for government organisations when upturning an industry wide process which deals with sensitive and personal data. Whilst I hope to be proven wrong, there is little indication based on the evidence.

It is all the more concerning given Auskey is to be turned off at the end of next month - I wonder if there would be an extension...

Ps. we should have some sympathy for the front line ATO staff who need to deal with the inevitable fallout.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 2

Hi @Jonbuff and @TaxedoMask 

Thank you for your posts. We are continuously updating our digital products based on community feedback.

To setup a Standard identity to access ATO online services, you only need to verify two of the following four identity documents:

• driver’s licence
  • Medicare card
  • birth certificate
  • passport

The option to increase your identity strength beyond Standard is not available, however this function will be added in late 2020. Currently none of the government services which use myGovID require a higher identity strength.

In future releases of myGovID additional documents will be available such as:

• marriage certificates
  • change of name certificates
  • Australian visa

We have been engaging with the business community throughout the planning and delivery stages of myGovID. During the initial design phase of the app, volunteers from businesses and tax practitioners provided feedback on the product prior to releasing to the public. In addition, the public has the opportunity to provide their feedback through the myGovID website.

Highlighted

Replies 1

In regard to only needing 2 forms of ID to set up a standard ID that is fine. As a BAS Agent I believe we need a higher level to access client records. I am of the understanding that you will be able to see client records from the date you register forward but I will not be able to see any past history. Is this correct? As this is the information that my  accounting association mentioned in their training video on the subject. If this is the case then I am sure there will be a few problems.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi @Opal,

You only need a standard myGovID to access Online Services for agents, so only 2 forms of Australian ID are required.

You will be able to see all past history for your clients. myGovID only changes how you access the portal.

Thanks, NateH