ATO Community

Re: Sale of shares - Normal income or capital gains event ?

Devotee

Views 184

Replies 2

Hi , Please assist me.

If a business  decides to buy and sell shares as an additional form of income, should the share sales be categorised as normal non - capital income ?

The exiting line of business is in manufacturing industry.

As far as  I know the deciding factor would be the intention ,

If  the shares were bought as an investment ( expecting dividends/ disposal gains) then its a capital event.

If  to be traded as buy & sell ( mainly gains) then normal income.

So how could a buiness substantiate its intention  ? Would a mere statement that  " I (business owner)  bought the shares with the intention of buy & sell " be enough as proof ?

E.g  During a financial year a business buy a set of shares  ( Intention is buy and sell) . But desipite the ability to dispose and an earn  a profit , the business holds on to the shares expecting the value to apprecciate more.

Also this is the only purchase it made in a while ( no regular buy and sell)

After a few years the disposal is made and  owner expects to account as normal income . Is it allowed ?

How regularly should buy and sell happen to convice ATO that it indeed is buy and sell ?

What substantiation is required ?

Sorry for the too many questions.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

If a business  decides to buy and sell shares as an additional form of income, should the share sales be categorised as normal non - capital income ?   Also this is the only purchase it made in a while ( no regular buy and sell)

How regularly should buy and sell happen to convice ATO that it indeed is buy and sell ?

Capital gains, because not a share trader.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/Shares,-units-and-similar-investments/Shareholding-...

So how could a business substantiate its intention  ? Would a mere statement that  " I (business owner)  bought the shares with the intention of buy & sell " be enough as proof ?

You will be judged by your actions, not just documents.

It could be that this was a profit-making scheme  -  profit taxed as income.

Documentation for intention should have been created before the purchase

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

If a business  decides to buy and sell shares as an additional form of income, should the share sales be categorised as normal non - capital income ?   Also this is the only purchase it made in a while ( no regular buy and sell)

Capital gains, because not a share trader.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/Shares,-units-and-similar-investments/Shareholding-...

So how could a business substantiate its intention  ? Would a mere statement that  " I (business owner)  bought the shares with the intention of buy & sell " be enough as proof ?

You will be judged by your actions, not just documents.

It could be that this was a profit-making scheme  -  profit taxed as income.

Documentation for intention should have been created before the purchase

Devotee

Replies 0

@Bruce4Tax Thank you