ATO Community

Travel expenses refund

Views 300

Replies 1

I just realised that we are able to get a refund of our travel expenses from home to workplace, however, i dont usually use my Opal card, and i use my mastercard instead. Can my monthly expenses report (there is a transport section), that Commonwealth has done for me in the app, be a proof of my claim later? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @LivinMonica

Trips between home and work are generally considered private travel. In some limited circumstances, you can claim a deduction for travel between home and work, as well as for some travel between two workplaces.

You can claim for travel between two work places for example if you have a second job, from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace (for example, a client's premises) and a number of other circumstances. Please consider all circumstances and whether the travel you are referring to is something you can claim.

Generally, you need to get and keep written evidence such as receipts, if you claim a deduction for work-related travel expenses.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @LivinMonica

Trips between home and work are generally considered private travel. In some limited circumstances, you can claim a deduction for travel between home and work, as well as for some travel between two workplaces.

You can claim for travel between two work places for example if you have a second job, from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace (for example, a client's premises) and a number of other circumstances. Please consider all circumstances and whether the travel you are referring to is something you can claim.

Generally, you need to get and keep written evidence such as receipts, if you claim a deduction for work-related travel expenses.

Hope this helps!