Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: When is a ute a commercial vehicle?

Views 68

Replies 4

Is the following considered as a commercial vehicle? I believe the carrying capacity is over 1t.

2019 Mercedes-Benz X-Class X250d Power Auto 4MATIC Dual Cab

• Ute
  • 4cyl 2.3 L T Diesel

If it is a commerical vehicle, it does not subject to the car limit (since it is not a car). Is this correct?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 3

Is the following considered as a commercial vehicle? I believe the carrying capacity is over 1t.

• Ute
  • 4cyl 2.3 L T Diesel

If it is a commerical vehicle, it does not subject to the car limit (since it is not a car). Is this correct?

Yes.

You need to check the online spec sheets, and keep a copy to prove it.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 3

• Ute
  • 4cyl 2.3 L T Diesel

Yes.

You need to check the online spec sheets, and keep a copy to prove it.

Replies 2

Thank you. What spec do I need to look in particular to prove it is commercial?

Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @HollyL,

The exception listed on our website state, "it is a commercial vehicle that is not designed for the principal purpose of carrying passengers." So there are no specific requirements in terms of carrying capacity, a ute's main function being to carry tools and materials etc. would mean it can be classified as a commercial vehicle.

Purchasing a motor vehicle.

Devotee

Replies 0

Around the "main purpose to carry passengers" - FBT rules contain a formula to work out of the main purpose is to carry passengers or not.

Load carrying capacity of 1 tonne or more automatically qualifies it as "commercial".

If under, then...

1) Gross vehicle weight less Basic kerb weight = Load carrying capacity

2) Work out number of passengers the car can seat (probably 5) and multiply by 68kgs

If (2) is more than half of (1), then the car is a "car". If not, it is a "commercial vehicle"