• 44 Online
  • 12181 Members
  • 16231 Posts

Tax time 2018: How do I lodge my return?

Started July by
Modified Tuesday by
Ask a question


Never lodged before? Have your circumstances changed and you need a hand to get your tax return right? We’re here to help make the process as simple as possible. Learn more about lodgment options, information you’ll need and how to get started.

There are two main ways to lodge your tax return:

  1. Online using myTax
  2. Via a registered tax practitioner

Lodging online using myTax

The easiest and fastest way to lodge your tax return is online using myTax – our online lodgment tool available through myGov.

You’ll need to create a myGov account and then link to ATO online services in order to lodge your return. Check out our instructional video on linking to our online services below:



If you meet certain criteria, you might be eligible for extra assistance from our Tax Help program. ATO-trained volunteers will help you complete your return using myTax at your nearest Tax Help centre. You’ll need to confirm your eligibility and phone us on 13 28 61 to make an appointment.

Lodging via registered tax practitioners

Did you know that registered tax practitioners are the only people allowed to charge you to lodge a tax return? All tax practitioners must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) and comply with the Code of Professional Conduct. Tax practitioners may also be eligible to lodge your tax return after 31 October – but you must be registered as a client at their practice to get the extension.

Find registered tax practitioners in your area by searching the TPB register.

0 Kudos