ATO Community

myGovID and RAM for tax professionals

Ask a question
Started December by
Modified a month ago by

Ahead of the retirement of AUSkey at the end of March 2020, we’ve seen a lot of questions about myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM). These services are designed to work together to provide authorised persons with access to Online services for agents and Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled software.

How do I access the myGovID app?

The myGovID app is available to download from the Google Play or Apple App Store and is compatible with most smart devices using Nougat 7.0 or later (Android) or iOS 10 or later (Apple).

Why can’t I login from a desktop?

There will be no desktop version for myGovID. Your myGovID is unique to you and uses the security and identification features of your smart device to protect your identity and help stop other people accessing your information.

It’s important to understand that myGovID allows you to log on to an online service from any browser, or device that is supported eg. Firefox, Chrome, PC, laptop or tablet.

Modern security standards require extra security to verify that the person who is logging in is who they say they are. This is why myGovID is a credential that is unique to a real person, not a computer.

What email address should I use to login?

The email you use to set up and login to your myGovID must belong to you. It shouldn’t be a shared email. It’s important to remember that your myGovID is unique to you, not your employer if you change jobs.

You can link your business, or be authorised in RAM, using a different email address to the one used to set up your myGovID.

Can we use one myGovID for all staff?

No, a myGovID is unique to an individual and shouldn’t be shared with anyone. Everyone who will be acting on behalf of a business needs their own myGovID.

Will this mean my employer has access to my identity documents?

No, your employer cannot access your identity documents. Your identity documents are used to verify your identity against existing government records and are not stored on your smart device.

I already have a myGov account, aren’t I already set up?

No, myGovID is different to myGov. Your myGov account is how you access government online services, like the ATO. Your myGovID proves who you are before you can access them.

How do I link my practice in RAM?

Find out how to link your practice Australian Business Number (ABN) in RAM and authorise others to act on behalf of your practice at ato.gov.au/TPmyGovID. You must be the principal authority (business owner or listed associate on the Australian Business Register) to link your ABN to your myGovID.

Do I need my clients’ myGovID details?

No, a myGovID is unique to an individual and shouldn’t be shared with anyone. The way you add clients through Access Manager or notify us about working on behalf of a client will not change. You can get to Access Manager via RAM or log in directly using your myGovID.

How do I use myGovID if I don’t have mobile phone reception in my office?

To access your myGovID you don’t need mobile phone coverage, just an internet connection like when accessing government online services.

Is a Standard identity strength all I need to login to Online services for agents?

Yes, you can set up a myGovID with a Standard identity strength by providing two of the following Australian identity documents:

• passport
  • driver’s licence
  • Medicare card
  • birth certificate.

Will the smart device I use for my myGovID be deductible?

If you use your own device or internet for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction if you paid for these costs and have records to support your claims.

If you use your phone or internet for both work and private use, you will need to work out the percentage that reasonably relates to your work use. Read more about claiming mobile phone, internet and home phone expenses.

Find out more

More information to help tax professionals with the move to myGovID and RAM is available at www.ato.gov.au/TPmyGovID videos and factsheets.

Labels (1)
Contributors
0 Likes