On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.
Started ‎18 December 2019 by
Modified ‎26 June 2020 by

myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) provide simple, secure and flexible access to our online services. myGovID is an app you download to your smart device to prove who you are online. RAM is an authorisation service that allows you to act on behalf of a business online when linked with your myGovID. You’ll use your myGovID to log into RAM.

What’s the difference between myGov and myGovID?

myGov is an account that gives you access to ATO online services for individuals and sole traders, where sole traders can apply for JobKeeper payments.

myGovID is a digital identity that lets you prove who you are online. You will need to use myGovID to log into the Business Portal where businesses and not-for-profit organisations can apply for JobKeeper payments.

Setting up myGovID

Where can i get the myGovID app?

You will need to download the myGovID app from Google Play or the App Store. It is compatible with most smart devices using Nougat 7.0 or later (Android) or iOS 10 or later (Apple).

There is no desktop option for myGovID. Your myGovID is unique to you and uses the security and identification features of your smart device to protect your identity and help stop other people accessing your information.

Will the smart device I use for myGovID be tax deductible?

If you use your own device or internet for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction. As long as you paid for these costs and have records to support your claims. If you use your phone or internet for both work and private use, you will need to work out the percentage that reasonably relates to your work use.

For more information:

I’m receiving an error message, where can I go for help?

Check out the information on the myGovID and RAM help pages which will assist you to solve most errors.

My name is different on some of my identify documents, what do I do?

Your name needs to match across both of your identity documents in order to set up a myGovID. If your names don’t match you may be able to:

  • verify a change in name for example by using a marriage certificate
  • use alternative identity documents which have the same name on them
  • contact the document provider to update your identity documents to match.

See the myGovID help page for more information on these options.

Is a Standard identity strength all I need to login into ATO online services?

You will need a Standard identity strength and your myGovID needs to have been linked to the business in RAM. To achieve a Standard identity strength you’ll need to verify two of the following Australian identity documents:

  • passport (not more than three years expired)
  • driver’s licence including learner’s permit
  • Medicare card
  • birth certificate.

I can’t set up a myGovID with Standard indentity strength

If you're unable to achieve a Standard myGovID you may be able to access our online services using a Basic myGovID.  A principal authority or authorisation administrator will need to authorise you to access our online services on behalf of the business or entity using a Basic myGovID. You will then need to complete some additional proof of identity checks.

See Accessing our online services with a Basic myGovID.

What if I lose my phone or it's stolen?

You will need to install the myGovID app on your new device and set up again using the same email address and identity documents. myGovID is protected by both your phone’s security features and the app’s security settings.

If you suspect someone has inappropriately accessed your personal information in myGovID, you’ll need to contact us to report this immediately.

Linking your business in RAM

How do I link my business in RAM?

Once you’ve set up your Standard myGovID, you will need to use it to log into RAM. You must be the principal authority (generally the business owner or associate), in order to link your myGovID to the ABN. How you link will depend on the type of Principal authority you are. Once linked, you’ll be able to access our online services on behalf of your business and authorise others to act on behalf of your business.

I'm receiving error messages, where can I go for help?

The top enquiries and support content on the RAM help page will assist you to resolve most errors.

My business operates through a trust, how do I complete the linking process?

If your business does not have an individual associate listed in the Australian Business Register, for example if it operates through a trust, then you will need to link your business as a primary person (type of principal authority in RAM).

A primary person holds one of the following roles:

  • the director or public officer for a corporate trustee or subsidiary company
  • an authorised contact for a government agency
  • Responsible Person for an Australian charity or not-for-profit organisation
  • the executor after probate is granted for a deceased estate
  • the office holder for an unincorporated association.

You will need to set up your myGovID with a Standard identity strength and then follow the linking process for a Primary person.  

What are machine credentials?

Machine credentials allow you to interact with government online services through Standard Business Reporting (SBR)-enabled software. Machine credentials are installed via RAM.

You’ll need to create a machine credential if you:

  • are a digital service provider who offers cloud-based SBR-enabled software - it should be installed on your server to enable software authentication by third-party users
  • use desktop or locally hosted software to send information directly to a government agency – your digital service provider will let you know when your software has been updated.

If you use cloud-based SBR-enabled software, you will not need to create a machine credential. Instead, your digital software provider will install it on their server.

This page on machine credentials will give you a step by step guide.

Can't find the answer to your question here?

You can ask the Community or read more information at


Labels (1)