• 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Alternative Workplace Deductions

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 211

Replies 1

Hi,

I have kept a log book for the minimum 12 week period in the 2017-2018 FY however i am unsure if i am correct in the deductions i'm hoping to claim. My office is based at location "A" however, due to the commencement of a new project, i have occasionally been required to work at location "B", sometimes mid day e.g. arrive to work at location "A" and drive to location "B", or sometimes I am required to go directly from my home to location "B" and sometimes back to location "A" or directly home. 

Am i correct in saying that my travel to location B can be considered an "alternative workplace", thus being capable of deduction? I do not attend location "B" on a consistant calendar e.g. every Monday and Tuesday.

Any help would be great. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cjgraham92,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Depending on your employment, you can claim travel from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace while still on duty, and back to your normal workplace or directly home. Whether a location is your regular workplace depends on your particular situation, but for people who are based at a particular workplace, and spend the majority of their time at that workplace, that location will ordinarily be a regular or normal workplace. Some examples of regular or normal workplaces are found in Taxation Ruling 95/34.

You can use our work-related car expenses calculator to help you work out how much you can claim. If you're in a specific industry, you can also find information on deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website.

Thanks,
EmilyW

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cjgraham92,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Depending on your employment, you can claim travel from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace while still on duty, and back to your normal workplace or directly home. Whether a location is your regular workplace depends on your particular situation, but for people who are based at a particular workplace, and spend the majority of their time at that workplace, that location will ordinarily be a regular or normal workplace. Some examples of regular or normal workplaces are found in Taxation Ruling 95/34.

You can use our work-related car expenses calculator to help you work out how much you can claim. If you're in a specific industry, you can also find information on deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website.

Thanks,
EmilyW

Top Solution Authors